The Electoral College is a process established by the Founding Fathers of our nation. It was a compromise between those who thought Congress should select the President and Vice-President and those who thought that Congress might not be fair and unbiased in their selections. Since Electors were selected for this one purpose only, they would be more likely to vote their consciences.
Initially there was no consideration of using the popular vote. The main reason was that the Southern states had huge slave populations who would not be entitled to vote. About 60 years later the change was made to have the popular vote in each state select that state's Electors.
Our Founders assumed that each Elector would be free to analyze and deliberate to determine who would be the best suited candidates to be President and Vice-President. Because, as we've all heard by now, the Electors are NOT bound to the Party that selected them.
So today I make this appeal to our 2016 Republican Electors (because I'm sure they'll all read my blog): When casting your vote for Donald Trump (or not), please consider the following:
- He is still concealing his tax returns from the public.
- He will not sever all ties to his business interests, many of which are in foreign countries.
- He does not believe in climate change.
- He is against reasonable gun controls.
- He does not believe a woman has a right to chose.
- CIA and all National intelligence agencies agree that his election was influenced by Russia.
- He lost the popular vote by almost three million votes.
- He never wanted to, or expected to be elected President.
Does your conscience tell you that this is the right man to be our next President?